On today’s episode we discuss innovation at the National Health Service with our distinguished guest, Dr. Mahiben Maruthappu.
Dr Maruthappu is the co-founder of the NHS Innovation Accelerator (NIA), and was the first person from British healthcare to be included in Forbes 30 under 30. He currently serves as the Senior Fellow to the CEO of NHS England where he advises on £100 billion of national health spending ($150 billion). He has a strong interest in research with over 80 peer-reviewed publications and over 50 awards. His work has been featured by BBC News and international press. He is the Chairman of the UK Medical Students’ Association (UKMSA), and he has authored three medical education books. Dr Maruthappu was educated at Oxford, Cambridge and Harvard Universities.
Dr Maruthappu explains the myriad activities and programs in place throughout the NHS, and importantly, he provides some insights on the best ways to access the resources that are available to support healthcare innovators. We discussed the activities and the success of the NHS Innovation Accelerator and the pathway to commercialization it has opened for it’s first class of 17 companies. Very soon, at the end of May, the second round of the NHS Innovation Accelerator is opening for applications, so you’ll want to hear more about that on this podcast.
- The “Five Year Forward View” for the NHS
- How demographics affect quality of care
- Improving care for Type II Diabetes as a way of decreasing costs
- Examples of improved innovation and efficacy at the NHS
- Opportunities for innovating with NHS
- An explanation of the Accelerator
- What the NHS looks for in terms of partnerships
- Regulations, reimbursement, and how they factor
- Private and public money available for grants
- Goals for change within the NHS
Dr. Maruthappu loves to hear from new people, especially those with ideas about innovating for the future of the National Health Service. Feel free to connect with him via Twitter.
~ Dr Ben Maruthappu
Links and Resources Mentioned
- 15 Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs)
- NHS Test Bed Programme
- NHS Innovation Accelerator
- NHS Five Year Forward View
- Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Accelerated Access Review
- Dr. Maruthappu on the Huffington Post
- Dr. Maruthappu on the NHS England Blog
Lighting Round Answers
ABOUT THE HOST
As an engineer and business leader, I've worked to develop, launch and scale innovative products and solutions that impact health and wellness. As an entrepreneur, I know firsthand what it takes to start a business, build a team, and compete in the global marketplace.
On Digital Health Today, I leverage my experiences to help great leaders and innovators tell their stories and connect to users, investors and other stakeholders.