Our guest is Kevin Lyman, an extremely talented entrepreneur and computer scientist based in San Francisco. He's worked at various companies including Hasbro, Microsoft and SpaceX, and he's founded several companies of his own as well. Now he’s applying his ability to create leading products to the healthcare sector, and he’s the COO and Lead Scientist for Enlitic, a startup that develops deep learning products to make doctors faster and more accurate. Kevin is going to help us break down some of the details and capabilities of Artificial Intelligence, and explain the differences between machine learning and deep learning.
Don’t worry – you don’t have to be a computer scientist to understand it, but with so many terms floating around for a set of technologies that is on track to be the most significant development of our lifetime – we need to peel back the curtain a little bit to understand them a bit better. Then we get into how all this is making an impact on healthcare, and how people and organizations are collaborating to create and implement the solutions.
- The data problems and opportunities facing health organizations
- The differences between AI, machine learning and deep learning
- Enlitic's approach to gets critics on board to support their products
- The regional differences that help drive the different responses to AI solutions
- Presenting to Steve “The Woz” Wozniak at Cube Tech Fair – and winning €1 million in the process
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Forbes Article: “U.S. Falls Behind China & Canada In Advancing Healthcare With A.I.” </li
- Enlitic Founder Jeremy Howard
- Contact Enlitic: info [at] enlitic.com
- Kevin Lyman on Linkedin
- Kevin Lyman on email: kevin [at] enlitic.com
- Kevin Lyman on Twitter
- Company website: https://www.enlitic.com
- Digital Health Events
- Dan Kendall on Twittter @ HealthTechDan
- Join Digital Health Today
Lightning Round Answers
Q: What’s a favorite quote or saying that motivates you?
A: “Take pride in everything you do”
Q: What advice do you have for other innovators who are working to make a difference in health?
A: “Serendipity breeds innovation.”
Q: What book do you recommend to listeners and why?
Q: What technology, tool or app would you recommend, and why?
A: An iPhone and these apps: Google Maps, Evernote, Slack, Skype, Audible
Q: If I gave you $5million to invest in healthcare today, where would you invest it?
A: General AI for healthcare research
Q: In appreciation of your time on the show, we make a donation to a charity of your choice. What charity have you selected?
ABOUT THE HOST
As an engineer and business leader, I've worked to develop, launch and scale innovative products and solutions that impact health and wellness. As an entrepreneur, I know firsthand what it takes to start a business, build a team, and compete in the global marketplace.
On Digital Health Today, I leverage my experiences to help great leaders and innovators tell their stories and connect to users, investors and other stakeholders.