Our guest today is Dr. Jack Kreindler. Jack is a physician, physiologist and serial technology entrepreneur. He began programming computers at the age of 13, and couldn’t decide between a career in tech or medicine – so he chose both. He is a leading expert in health optimization and has a background in emergency medicine with a special interest in high altitude physiology. Jack shares insights from his years working with elite athletes and very ill patients, and how lessons can be learned and applied to both groups. He also explains the mission of the Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Research Fund and how her fight against cancer will have a lasting and significant impact for cancer patients and their families.
Jack is a founder of the Centre for Health and Human Performance in London where he is the medical director of a multidisciplinary team of leading specialists managing complex cases. He’s also a founder of Sentrian, a remote patient intelligence platform, and he’s a cofounder of Weird and Wonderful, where he works with Daisy Robinton (Daisy was our guest in episode 23 where she spoke about gene editing, resilience and the future of health). You may see Jack on his frequent trips to the US on various speaking engagements, and working with tech companies to increase the depth of focus on advanced analytics, connected data and machine learning.
- The science behind his participation in a cage fight and his road to recovery
- His role in Centre for Health and Human Performance, and what the study of human performance science is all about.
- The use of ACTs (adaptive clinical trials) and how they differ from a standard clinical trial.
- Brain cancer, specifically glioblastoma multiforme, and the innovation of the standards of care to develop new treatments.
- Jack's collaboration with Baroness Jowell and her daughter to increase research efforts in the UK.
- Jack's work with cancer patients and elite athletes and how he approached these two very different groups of patients.
- Increasing healthspan through 4 key activities and reducing the gap between healthspan and lifespan.
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Jack Kreindler on Twitter
- Jack Kreindler on LinkedIn
- Center for Health and Human Performance on Twitter
- Center for Health and Human Performance on Web
- Sentrian on Twitter
- Sentrian on Web
- Weird and Wonderful
- Jack Kreindler | ‘Incremental Medicine' and a Synthesis of Exponential Medicine 2016
- FreeStyle Libre: Flash Glucose Monitoring System
- Wired Article: Jack Kreindler: Health innovators must refocus on access
- Digital Health Events
- Dan Kendall on Twitter @ HealthTechDan
- Join Digital Health Today
Lightning Round Answers
1- What is a saying, quote or phrase that motivates you?
Life is a game play it honorably. – Ernest Shackleton
2- What advice do you have for others working to innovate in healthcare?
Don’t underestimate the power of exponentially advancing technologies. Learn about them, embrace them.
3- What book do you recommend to our listeners?
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
Evolving Ourselves: Redesigning the Future of Humanity-One Gene at a Time by Juan Enriquez and Steve Gullans
Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Max Tegmark
4- What’s the best tech that makes your life better and easier?
5- If I gave you a check for $5 million for you to invest in health technology today, how would you invest it?
Adaptive clinical trials to try and crack a real hard problem in Cancer.
6- We make a contribution to a charity in appreciation of your time on the show – what charity have you selected and can you tell us a little about what they do?
ACT for Cancer – Founded by Baroness Tessa Jowell and Jess Mills to personalize medical approaches to complex cancers and be an advocate for the families and caregiver around the patient.
Note: Website link coming soon!
The future of healthcare | Jack Kreindler | TEDxStPeterPort
Dr. Jack Kreindler vs Nick the Headhunter Chapman
Baroness Tessa Jowell Delivers Moving Speech on Brain Cancer Diagnosis
Support for Digital Health Today comes from Optum
Optum tackles the biggest challenges in healthcare with innovative, data-driven solutions that help improve outcomes.
Optum. How well gets done.
Learn more at Optum.com.
ABOUT THE HOST
As an engineer and business leader, I've worked to develop, launch and scale innovative products and solutions that impact health and wellness. As an entrepreneur, I know firsthand what it takes to start a business, build a team, and compete in the global marketplace.
On Digital Health Today, I leverage my experiences to help great leaders and innovators tell their stories and connect to users, investors and other stakeholders.