In this episode we talk about healthcare solutions using augmented reality and virtual reality. It wasn’t that long ago that holograms and immersive environments were only found in Hollywood science fiction, but the technology is now finding its way into everything from video games and movie theaters to operating rooms and in-patient wards.
As the cost of hardware and software drops and handset capabilities increase, many companies are developing creative solutions to address problems in healthcare. Products like Oculus Rift and Microsoft Hololens have set a high standard, and the industry just got a further push by Apple’s recently launched ARKit.
Here to tell us about it is Dr Rafael Grossmann, he is a general, trauma, advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgeon practicing in Maine, USA. Rafael has been working to advance the use of AR/VR/Mixed R technology and advises companies in this space. In addition to his full time role as a practicing surgeon, Rafael is also an alumnus of Singularity university and faculty of Exponential Medicine. He tells us about some of the great work being done to develop solutions using tools like ARKit and the Hololens platform.
- How Rafael's career was transformed through exponential thinking
- How the first surgery was performed using Google Glass in 2013
- How AR Kit is creating new opportunities in patient education
- Two interesting companies and their solutions leveraging AR and VR
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Rafael Grossmann on Twitter
- Rafael Grossmann on LinkedIn
- Rafael Grossmann's Website
- John Nosta of Nosta Labs
- Anima Res – specialist in 3D medical animations and interactive Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality and Virtual Reality applications with a particular focus on the pharmaceutical, medical and biotechnological sectors.
- Insight-Heart on the Web
- Download Insight-Heart on iTunes
- Download Insight-Heart for Microsoft Hololens
- Medivis – an augmented reality medical company with the mission to transform medical visualization through proprietary holographic rendering.
- Oculus Rift Website
- Check out Oculus Rift on Amazon*
- Apple's ARKit Developer Resources
- Microsoft's Hololens Developer Resources
- Digital Health Events
- Dan Kendall on Twitter @ HealthTechDan
- Join Digital Health Today
Lightning Round Answers
1- What is a saying, quote or phrase that motivates you?
The smart use of technology to improve healthcare and medical education – it's all about that.
2- What advice do you have for others working to innovate in healthcare?
“Be curious and be disruptive” ~ Rafael Grossmann
3- What book do you recommend to our listeners?
Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science – by Atul Gwande
4- What’s the best tech that makes your life better and easier?
LinkedIn and Twitter apps on my smartphone
5- If I gave you a check for $5 million for you to invest in health technology today, how would you invest it?
Big Data, Blockchain, AI
6- We make a contribution to a charity in appreciation of your time on the show – what charity have you selected and can you tell us a little about what they do?
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Insight Heart for Hololens
TEDx November 2013
TEDx December 2013
What is Apple's ARKit?
What is Microsoft Hololens?
ABOUT THE HOST
As an engineer and business leader, I've worked to develop, launch and scale innovative products and solutions that impact health and wellness. As an entrepreneur, I know firsthand what it takes to start a business, build a team, and compete in the global marketplace.
On Digital Health Today, I leverage my experiences to help great leaders and innovators tell their stories and connect to users, investors and other stakeholders.