What do you do when you get bad news? Do you moan and complain about it? Maybe you steel yourself and decide not to let it dominate you and carry on, taking the setbacks in stride.
Or maybe, you’re one of the group of people who takes that decision even further and resolves to declare war on the obstacles before you. You dedicate your work, energy and resources to not just to overcome those challenges, but to completely transform the situation and experience of others who are facing and will face similar challenges.
Considering you’ve self selected into this digital health community, I’m guessing that you’re in one of the two latter groups, and let’s face it, you’re likely in the last group: The group that Unity Stoakes would call the change makers and transformers. People in this group not only refuse to accept the status quo, but go to work to change the way the world works, create new paradigms and shape new ways of thinking.
My guest today definitely falls into this group. And I think there’s a super power that comes into play when the challenge that life deals doesn’t just affect us, it’s affects someone we love and care about.
Our guest in this episode is Jeffrey Brewer, CEO and Co-founder of Bigfoot Biomedical. He shares his story of when he received the news that his son has Diabetes, and the confusion and despair that followed. He explains how that led to changes in his life and took him down a path that has seen him start Bigfoot Biomedical. He gives insights into the tremendous progress they’ve made in a short space of time and what the future holds for his product, and, importantly, for people with insulin-dependent diabetes around the world.
- How the personal experience with Type 1 Diabetes drove the mission of Bigfoot’s co-founders
- What forces and factors are inhibiting innovation in some established medical device companies
- How the FDA is helping to drive innovation (despite what some people say!)
- Why Europe and China are not top priorities for developing the Bigfoot solutions
- Why startups have an advantage over established medical companies
- How and where Bigfoot Biomedical was started (hint: it was in a garage!)
- How Bigfoot Biomedical got its name
- What the partnership with Abbott means for both companies
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Jeffrey on Twitter
- Jeffrey on LinkedIn
- Bigfoot Biomedical Website
- Bigfoot Biomedical on Twitter
- Bigfoot Biomedical on Facebook
- Wired Article
- Digital Health Events
- Join Digital Health Today