What does it take to become a world leader in the health tech space? Cities around the world, and even entire countries, are battling for the chance to be the digital health capital of the world. In addition to Silicon Valley, there are the usual suspects of Boston and San Diego, and we also have some up-and-comers such as Denver with people like Mike Biselli and many others leading the charge. There’s Chicago with organizations like Matter, and cities in the south like Atlanta leveraging their strong corporate base. In Europe you have London, Barcelona, Naples, Helsinki. And even entire countries like Israel and Estonia are working to make themselves the premier destination for investors, startups and health tech innovation. And that’s without going further east to China, Japan and other Asia-pac countries.
My guest today is Christian Seale, he’s the founder and general partner of Startupbootcamp in Miami. He’s also the Founding Partner of NextGen Venture Partners, he’s a Global Shaper at the World Economic Forum, and a mentor at Mass Challenge. Christian is working to make Miami the top destination for companies working to access the Americas – North, South and Latin America. You may be asking, why Miami? The home of Crockett and Tubbs? The playground of the rich and famous? The scene of a terrible but popular song by Vanilla Ice? And now, the destination for digital companies? Seem impossible? Christian tells us exactly why this city is so popular for innovators with big ideas, and it isn’t about the beaches. There’s plenty of success to point to, and some companies you probably didn’t realize that are based right there.
Christian and I recorded this interview in person, which is something I don’t do very often (we normally do interviews over Skype) – which gave me an opportunity to see the area and its thriving innovation community. We also had the chance to hear about a program that he’s working on to help promote prenatal health for pregnant women. The program is called Square Roots and Christian explains how they are working to make cities, countries and companies better and healthier places to be carrying a child.
- What sets Miami apart and make it a great destination for health startups and investors
- The experiences that inspired Christian to focus on health care
- How Startupbootcamp Miami is helping digital health startups
- The importance of perseverance and tenacity in startups and their founders
- How the Square Roots program is helping cities, countries and corporations create healthy environments for pregnant women
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Christian Seale on Twitter
- Christian Seale on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Startupbootcamp for Digital Health in Miami
- StartupBootcamp on Twitter
- StartupBootcamp on Facebook
- Square Roots Birthmark Program
- Digital Health Events
- Join Digital Health Today
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices