Today, we’re taking on the problem of blindness and loss of vision. This is a huge problem for hundreds of millions of people around the world who are legally blind or partially sighted. The number of people affected is set to increase as conditions like macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy become more widespread.
Here to talk to us about this problem and some of the ways technology can help address it is Eliav Rodman, he’s the Director of Marketing at OrCam Technologies. OrCam is based in Jerusalem, Israel, and they have developed a compact and powerful device to help address many of the problems associated with loss of vision.
Also on the call is Guy Hilton. Guy is the General Manager of Start-Up Nation Central which is an organization focused on the Israeli innovation community. Guy’s organization,Start-Up Nation Central, has recently joined Digital Health Today as a sponsor and strategic partner. We’ll be working together to highlight the great innovators and leaders working in Israel to solve the big problems facing healthcare today.
- The challenges that visually challenged people are facing every day.
- The limitations of the traditional technologies currently available.
- The company’s success and the design of the MyEye2.0 device.
- A demonstration of the device.
- The company’s expansion and future plans.
- What Start-Up Nation Central is and what they do.
- The factors that are contributing to the success of companies based in Israel.
- The initiatives the Israeli government have put in place to advance the Digital Health sector.
- Start-Up Nation Central as the new sponsor for Digital Health Today.
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Start-Up Nation Central Digital Health Report
- Start-Up Nation Finder
- OrCam on Twitter
- OrCam on Web
- OrCam on LinkedIn
- Eliav Rodman on LinkedIn
- Start-Up Nation Central on Twitter
- Start-Up Nation Central on the Web
- Start-Up Nation Central on LinkedIn
- Guy Hilton on LinkedIn
- Israeli visual aid company OrCam valued at $1 billion
- A $1 Billion Valuation for Mobileye Founders' Latest Venture
- Digital Health Events
- Dan Kendall on Twitter @ HealthTechDan
- Join Digital Health Today
Podcast video of OrCam Demonstration
OrCam MyEye 2.0 – 2018
Lightning Round Answers
1- What is a saying, quote or phrase that motivates you?
Eliav: “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I'm possible'!” – Audrey Hepburn
2- What advice do you have for others working to innovate in healthcare?
Eliav: Do your beta testing in Israel!
3- What book do you recommend to our listeners?
Eliav: Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan Senor and Saul Singer
4- What is a piece of technology that you recommend to our listeners?
Eliav: The JBL Flip 4 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker – great, wireless, portable sound for work or personal use (and the speaker used during this demo!)
5- If I gave you a check for $5 million for you to invest in health technology today, how would you invest it?
Eliav: Artificial Intelligence – because it is leveling the human playing field, helping us as humans move past our physical barriers.
6- We make a contribution to a charity in appreciation of your time on the show – what charity have you selected and can you tell us a little about what they do?
Eliav and Guy suggested we make a donation to a charity of our choosing. We selected Gvahim, which describes itself as “a non-profit organization providing new immigrants and returning citizens with the essential platform to find employment or build start-ups or companies in Israel, reflecting and enhancing their experience and qualifications.” Sounds good to us!
HRH Prince William with OrCam's Ziv Aviram & Israel PM Netanyahu
ABOUT THE HOST
As an engineer and business leader, I've worked to develop, launch and scale innovative products and solutions that impact health and wellness. As an entrepreneur, I know firsthand what it takes to start a business, build a team, and compete in the global marketplace.
On Digital Health Today, I leverage my experiences to help great leaders and innovators tell their stories and connect to users, investors and other stakeholders.